Main Title: 10 Rules for Respect






By Pastor Michael Magbag

Scripture :

John 13:34-35
New International Version (NIV)

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

What is Respect?

Respect is demonstrated by our actions, not our words. And when those actions are absent, especially at a trivial or simple level, there is also a distinct lack of respect. In every relationship respect goes hand-in-hand with love and commitment. You cannot love someone you don't respect or are not prepared to commit to, even for a short time.

Otherwise you will resent the time spent with them, or spent doing things on their behalf, when you could be doing something else or be with someone else. Neither can you love someone you really do not trust. Once trust is gone, the feelings become superficial as the relationship shifts in terms of both emotion and power. You would no longer respect that person, tending to be suspicious of their actions instead of celebrating and enjoying their presence.

A pastor named Charles W. Christian wrote this list of principles of respect. He claims that it has transformed his church’s attitudes and communication between members.

Here are the 10 Rules for Respect:
...
1. If you have a problem with me, come to me privately.

2. If I have a problem with you, I will come to your privately.

3. If someone comes to you and has a problem with me, send them to me.

4. If someone does not want to come to me, say, “Let’s go to the pastor (or whomever) together. I am sure he will see us about this.

5. ”Be careful how you interpret me. If you don’t understand, ask for clarification.
6. I will do the same for you.

7. If it’s confidential, than keep it confidential. Do not share it as a prayer request.

8. I do not read unsigned letters or notes. I do not manipulate.

9. I will not be manipulated. Don’t let others manipulate you.

10. When you are not sure, say so. Ask for more information.

These rules cross many of our Asian cultural boundaries. However, these rules are based on Bible principles. They demonstrate that we honestly, transparently, love each other.

Think about it. Wouldn’t our relationships be better if we followed these rules of respect, confidentiality, honesty, and grace?

Comments

Popular Posts